March 22

#SOL22 #22

I’ve just returned from a magnificently invigorating couple of hours. I attended a workshop on “improvisational leadership,” in which we played a series of improv games and created scenes and talked about how “yes, and…” applies to leadership.

I fully appreciate how theatrical improv can be a teaching tool across disciplines, and was happy to be reminded of some fundamental concepts.

I was even more thrilled to have the opportunity to get into character on the spot, to be cast as an “angry plumber,” and to let my imagination run amok with it. To shout at the audience about how their hygiene habits make my job difficult. And how my therapist is helping me with anger issues. And exaggeratedly taking deep breaths to “re-compose” myself.

So often, I feel cast as “teacher,” “wife,” “mother,” “responsible person,” all worthy roles, yet this unexpected side is what nourishes my soul in ways that rejuvenate me like none other.

Posted March 22, 2022 by inspirepassion in category Deeper Learning

About the Author

I am a process-focused leader who uses collaboration, authenticity, and mentoring as key skills to inspire passion among learners of all ages. Aggregate eclectic professional experiences have honed my ability to coach others in designing and implementing courses of study using inquiry-/project-based learning (PBL).

10 thoughts on “#SOL22 #22

1. Elisa Waingort

Interesting. I would love to hear more about how the improv you did connects to leadership. I think intuition, but I’m not sure if that’s what that’s about. Thank you for sharing.

Reply
    1. inspirepassion (Post author)

Elisa, one of the basic tenets of improv is “yes, and…” (most of us have heard that phrase). In leadership (or really any relationship), when we respond that way instead of the dreaded “but…” it tells the other person we are listening and open to the conversation. Regardless of how outlandish/ridiculous/infeasible we initially think the idea is. For example, if I tell you “all teachers should get a 25% raise,” you could respond with “but, we can’t afford that,” which effectively shuts down the conversation, or creates an adversarial atmosphere. If instead you respond with “yes, and we’ll extend their work day by an hour so they have more time to plan.” This may NOT be what I want to hear, since I may not want my work day extended, but it opens the door for further conversation and talking about different ways everyone can be satisfied. There are many other lessons we can take from improv, but this is a central one. Does it make sense?

Reply
  2. Kim Douillard

I love this role you got to play. Makes me think of how women (in particular) seem to get cornered into roles that others want to to define. (Been listening to the KBJ questioning in congress this week.)

Reply
    1. inspirepassion (Post author)

Isn’t that the truth! And even for a single role, different people may have different definitions. At the improv theater I practiced with in Illinois, the artistic director emphasized “fact into fiction,” how effective improv is NOT about the punch line, but about storytelling, starting with a real(ish) scenario, real(ish) relationships, and using the improv process to magnify and exaggerate the truths of whatever is going on in the relationships.

Reply
  3. Melanie White

The humour here caught my attention – the angry plumber and the hygiene habits made me pause and wonder (gross!). The other line which caught my attention were the labels. Maybe we should all be thespians!

Reply
    1. inspirepassion (Post author)

For sure, improv, a pastime that I expected to run away from, has been such a fun thing for me! It allows me to get out of my “usual” head and into a purely playful frame of mind.

Reply
    1. inspirepassion (Post author)

Yeah… I am oftentimes labeled as “responsible,” which is something I respect/honor, but it is SO nice to have opportunities to be a bit crazy, to PLAY!

Reply